This is a guest post by Christian (yes the first guest post on LaurensFitness), aka Young Athlete, you’ll see him often commenting around LaurensFitness and Stronglifts. Christian competes in hockey, football and track. He trains three times per week for strength, and twice a week for speed and conditioning. He asked to write this guest post to share his experiences and give you guys a simple workout you can do at your local park, and follow on from my last article, on how to workout without a gym. I like it and I am sure you will love it. Enjoy!
Strength, endurance, and flexibility are things a majority of us are after. There are complex and simple ways to build up all three. Personally I prefer the simple ways to build up my strength, endurance, and flexibility. I also, prefer to enjoy my time doing it. My favorite work out is running up to the local park I do it as described below.
The warm up
Lower body warm up: Quick Feet, High Knees, Butt Kickers, Leg Swings, Side Leg Swings, Lunges, and 10 Jump Squats to finish it. This is to ready your lower body for the run, change it to your needs don’t wear yourself out on the warm up though.
Upper body warm up: 10 push ups, 10 shoulder dislocations, and 5 pull ups, 10 Arm circles forward and backwards
The run should be hard (but not so long) and by the end your breath should be heavy no matter what distance. Take about 5 minutes to catch your breath. If the distance is over a mile I would recommend riding your bike hard. (Depending on your goals, strength or stamina a bike may be your better choice, if you aren’t looking for any aerobic, skip this all together).
The work out
- Pull ups/chin ups 3X(times) (1-2 below your max reps) Super set them and do 2-3 minutes between sets
- Dips 3X MAX 3-4 minutes between sets
- Farmers walk (Find something heavy I prefer a big rock) go as far as possible then flip the rock over and over until you are where you started. Do 3X over 1 minutes between each set
- Military press 5X5 ( a rock, a picnic table, or anything you can do it with)
- Front squat 5X5 heavy object
After your done and have finished your workout run home hard! Act as if a bulldog is chasing you and run.
The Cool Down
Static stretches, then a quick cold shower.
Bring some water, customize your workout to your enjoyment, this is not the average workout but you will see great results with it. Most of all have some fun while you do it!
More outdoors ideas to add (if you are game!)
- Find a tree to climb and climb it, be careful though. I once heard from a Croatian man “You go home and you swing like monkey from trees”. All the kids who did got stronger very quickly and we had a good time doing it.
- If the park has a place to do muscle ups then feel free to replace the pull ups with them.
- Find something high up and jump onto it, just make sure not to land on your shins and if you don’t make it fall backwards on to your butt. I have fallen onto my shins if you do it will be painful walk around splash some water on your face and put some neospornin on it when you get home. (I iced them I messed up pretty bad on a high jump and received large bruises on my legs…know your limits!!).
- Bring your kids let them play, remember how awesome the play ground used to be back in 3rd grade.
Thanks for reading my article
Laurens Comment: This is a great all round workout that basically gets a bit of everything. This is the perfect kind of workout to do when you feel like a bit of fresh air. It gets you moving, gets you fit, gets you some fresh air, and covers all bases. Just make sure you go to a park with some large rocks! It isn’t going to target anything specifically, but for an all round workout, it will more than do the job. Feel free to comment and give Christian some feedback, I’m sure he’ll be around to answer comments for you all!