I love the gym. I love going to the gym. I love being in the gym. I love working out in the gym. However, I do realise that not everyone is like me.
I think the gym is a great place to be motivated, to ensure that you are getting what you need done, and you get a little extra push to do it… but what is more important is that you lead a healthy lifestyle. Part of a healthy lifestyle is exercise. If you are a person that dislikes the gym, can’t afford a membership to the gym or feels that there isn’t enough time to commute to the gym and get your workout done, then this post is for you.
Luckily there are a lot of workouts without weights that you can do. You need to remember that you still need to bring motivation, and you need an even stronger sense of discipline and will, because working out at home means you are in a relaxed environment, with distractions. If you want a full guide to working out in your living room, check out no equipment no excuses.
Tips For Working Out At Home
- Turn up the music. Change your relaxed home environment into a pumped up motivating area.
- Remove distraction for the duration of the workout. This may mean keeping the kids occupied or turning your mobile off for the duration of your workout.
- Set up another room. Try to find an area where you can associate it to working out. If you have a spare room you don’t use much, get in there. A large garage is perfect. Working out in the living room is fine if you can remove distractions, but setting up your own “home gym” will be the most motivating thing.
- Write your workout out. Don’t go by memory, have every repetition and every interval written down to ensure you get the most out of your time.
- Workout with a partner. This is a common tip for anyone working out, but if you can get someone to work with you, your motivation will increase, your accountability will sky rocket, and I can almost guarantee you will get a better workout in.
Exercises You Can Do At Home
We have covered this in another post on Laurens Fitness, so check out 20 exercises you can add to your workout without weights.
You can definitely get a good, strong and useful strength workout at home, without heading to the gym. Just ensure that you follow the tips above, set yourself up well for success, and stick to it… just like any other exercise program.