There is a really big chance you are doing this stretch wrong.
Not only will it be ineffective, but you might be hurting your back in the process.
Follow these steps to make sure you get the static hip flexor stretch right.
- Get on the floor with one leg up in front of the other.
- Push forward through your hips.
- Make sure you lower back doesn’t curve too much, try to keep your lower abs active and your back straight.
- Squeeze your bum (the leg that’s on the floor). This may be the most important part of the stretch. You will ensure that point number 3 is enforced, as well as getting an extra stretch and reciprocal inhibition on your hip flexor muscle.
- Slowly raise your arm on the side you are stretching in the air.
- Hold for at least 30 seconds.
If you want to know more about your hip flexors, check out this article.